"I am the spark"
David Dalton
2003-11-14 16:42:55 UTC
I had my first significant flying mystic spark in probably
five years last night sometime after 1:30 a.m. (0500 GMT)
at Erin's Pub, on the palm side first (counting out from
hand) knuckle of my left ring finger, not as strong as my
Ship or LSPU or Jacob/Fat Cat ones here years ago or my
first yoga one in Vancouver or the massive Valentine's
Day jolt in 1995 in Vancouver but almost as strong (except
for the jolt) and stronger than my second yoga one, and
anyway definitely a flying Valakhilya type live spark
and not a simple static one especially given humid
environment, wood around, no motion by me, no metal
close, the feel of it, and where it hit me.

I describe past sparks in
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/sparks.html
where I quote

Energies of Transformation:A guide to the Kundalini Process
by Bonnie Greenwell which says
"Aurobindo said that sparks or movements of light indicated the play
of forces in or around consciousness..." p 57"

More detail:

Either Saturday or Wednesday late at Erin's Graham Wells (25?,
probably
the best button accordion player under 45 in Newfoundland and
maybe under 30 in Canada) had a CD on and I said to Jim Fidler,
hey, banjo, and I said a bit later, that sounds like Four Men
and a Dog, and a bit later went and said that to Graham and
he said it was Gerry O'Connor and that he is banjo player of
4 Men & a Cu Chulainn (hound of the Smith) so I later speculated
on his strings to Jim. But anyway I just heard 3 of the 5 the
first time they played a Rogue gig at The W.I.S.E. (but I don't
think they ventured downstairs later as Altan and Johnny Cunningham
and John Skelton and others have) when they had to leave
two behind for some reason so I forget if he was with them
but remember no accordion, but fiddle, and maybe banjo.

Then last night I caught Jim Fidler live at Bridie Molloy's
which has nice staff but that high pressure computer controlled
beer tastes just slightly flat and chemical to me compared
to Erin's but it is a warm place with good staff and
good sound system. After we toddled off to Erin's where
we were until very late. Anyway after about 1:30 a.m.
or later NST (so 5 a.m. in Ireland) again Graham had a
CD on and I said to Jim, that sounds a bit like
Bothy Band. He said no, it might be Altan. I said
no it's not Altan but I guess it's not quite Bothy Band
either. Then he said it might be Dervish and I went and
asked Graham and it was Dervish's latest one (but I
haven't heard them live yet). I wasn't super impressed
by the first half (but fine musicians have spoiled my
ears I think). But then about halfway through a wind
instrument kicked in and I asked Jim is that flute or
long whistle but thinking more likely a slightly
higher than usual flute (i.e. higher than Frankie's e.g.)
and Jim said flute. But the remarkable thing about that
was when the flute kicked in my hands started powerful
chi burning at the same time and continued after the
CD was over, and the spark occurred somewhere in there
but I forget if during the flute or after the CD but
Jim might remember. But I said that must be good wood.

So anyway I feel pretty good this week but not high
and my lyric ability is starting to come back with
a few lyrics snippets during Jim's second set
last night so I have dusted off my microcassette
recorder which I haven't used yet. I wrote down
partially remembered two one-liner lyrics for Jim's stuff
and will reconstruct them later. Then today I had the
medley at the end of side one of Emile Benoit's
Emile's Dream on and out came a couple of lines
saying that I didn't need to do lyrics all the way
through but even just a few to set the tune apart
"to set the tune apart from all". But then just
after I did one more lyric like "don't forget that,
you fool" but of course I did mostly but remember the
message at least and may reconstruct the rest.

David http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (Newfoundland music, + BS)
"into the fire, we're reunited,
into the fire, I am the spark" (Sarah McLachlan : Into the Fire)
(fie, fie, said the friendly fier)
J&S
David Dalton
2003-11-14 17:17:10 UTC
Post by J&S
I certainly did not experience a spark in trying to understand exactly what
you were saying. Is it possible you were just drunk!
No, at that point I wasn't drunk though had had a
little, and my mental state was fine. Perhaps
my post was aimed a bit more at people who have
read my writing before. But in any case the
first such spark occurred while my yoga teacher
was demonstrating Valakhilyasana and I was
ultra sober and stable and not pumping the
chi at all. But the music notes should be of
interest to all the groups in any case, regardless
of the mystic component.

I have to run to badminton.

David
DaveHX
David
Nic Caciappo

Nic
David Dalton
2003-11-16 17:07:57 UTC
Post by Nic Caciappo
Post by David Dalton
Post by J&S
I certainly did not experience a spark in trying to understand exactly what
you were saying. Is it possible you were just drunk!
No, at that point I wasn't drunk though had had a
little, and my mental state was fine. Perhaps
my post was aimed a bit more at people who have
read my writing before. But in any case the
first such spark occurred while my yoga teacher
was demonstrating Valakhilyasana and I was
ultra sober and stable and not pumping the
chi at all. But the music notes should be of
interest to all the groups in any case, regardless
of the mystic component.
I have to run to badminton.
Badminton?
Figures,
That also may be offensive to Asian and Asian descent
readers. It is a good way to shake a lot of international
hands and I bet the number of players in the world rounds up
to a billion (i.e. is greater than 500,000,000) with a
wide range of ages. Anyone in NFLD know if coach John Hall is
still alive? I have done Alzheimer's healing prayers and spells
for him and all others and Parkinson's ones for my uncle
and Ali and JPII and MJFox and all others and lots more
and maybe they will have a delayed effect, maybe not.

(well, Danish and Brits and some non-Asian descent Canucks
play too). (and a Danish Britt :-) )

David
emtecca
DaveHX
2003-11-14 17:44:53 UTC
i wasn't drunk..until i read that.
umm ok....What??!?!?!
David Dalton
2003-11-14 20:09:55 UTC
Post by DaveHX
i wasn't drunk..until i read that.
Well if I explain everything it would get too long and
nobody would read it but I'll assume a few didn't mind
it and/or were entertained and maybe went as far as
researching Aurobindo and the Valakhilya, or had read
my stuff on my sparks of years ago and appreciated
the update, or appreciated my comments on Newfoundland
and Irish music. But perhaps there are rigid Christians
interested in putting me down/trivializing me even
when some saints may have experienced such sparks
though I haven't checked yet.

"we are the children of the night, we feel the sparks
before they fly" (Noel Dinn; recorded in Children
of the Night by Figgy Duff and in Something Calling
sung solo by Pamela Morgan)

Anyway such rare flying sparks are for me like a
form of angels, energy beings based in the sun
who I call Valakhilya following on the mention
of them in B.K.S. Iyengar's Light on Yoga.

I'll work on the science (3D+t to start, higher
D if necessary) to explain such energy beings
eventually but will be busy with geophysics
stuff for a while.

I also posted threads on this to
alt.religion.druid,alt.traditional.witchcraft,alt.religion.shamanism,alt.pagan
soc.religion.paganism
alt.religion.wicca.moderated
alt.yoga,alt.religion.hindu,alt.meditation.qigong,alt.magick
so maybe there will be some more knowledgeable replies
on those four threads but I doubt it. But anyway it
is a major milestone for me that I wanted to share and
gives me renewed hope for a waning crescent mystic high
(anointing by the holy spirit if you are a Christian)
especially since recent solar activity might mean the cycle
going towards low has been put off a bit meaning
me getting almost 8 years instead of the 7 years
of Cu Chulainn, Amergin, Finn and others is reasonable.

For more detail see my web page
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (Newfoundland music; musically inspired BS)

David
David Dalton
2003-11-14 20:30:15 UTC
Post by David Dalton
"we are the children of the night, we feel the sparks
before they fly" (Noel Dinn; recorded in Children
of the Night by Figgy Duff and in Something Calling
sung solo by Pamela Morgan)
Anyway such rare flying sparks are for me like a
form of angels, energy beings based in the sun
who I call Valakhilya following on the mention
of them in B.K.S. Iyengar's Light on Yoga.
"Oblioh, the double desire
The angel of light and the angel of fire
Hey Oblioh, please come home
To your mama's heart and your daddy's home
Hey Oblioh, sun come around
The wild goose morning cry life in the ground
Hey Oblioh, please come home
Your mama's grievin' and your daddy's alone"

Bourne and MacLeod (wish they would tour here to
Newfoundland; Oblioh, from Moonlight Dancers;
they beat Figgy Duff for the 1991 roots/trad
Juno with their first CD Dance and Celebrate;
anyone else on here, including others here
in Newfoundland and Labrador, hear them live?)

But Sarah McLachlan's the angel of fire, right, from
her touch (but some other women are warming sorts too
if she doesn't want to dump her husband and grab me)?

David
David Dalton
2003-11-14 20:55:51 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
"we are the children of the night, we feel the sparks
before they fly" (Noel Dinn;
"Oblioh, the double desire
The angel of light and the angel of fire
And I forgot this one:

"This could be the final breath
This could be the final strife
Is there one spark of life still shimmering
Out here in the falling rain
Who will fan the flame
When the final days are numbering"
Ron Hynes: The Final Breath

(Ron is at The Ship tonight and Saturday.)

so basically we are near an environmental cliff
and better get our act together

but flame doesn't mean hellfire there but the
flame of transformation and positive change,
or in hinduism, of creativity and sometimes
positive sexual fire, and fire can also mean
positive spiritual consummation as in the
poems of Basra Sufi woman mystic/poet Rabi'a
for example.

Anyway that song was on the soundtrack of
the movie Secret Nation and won a Genie
and is on Ron's CD Face to the Gale but
the darkest night (new moon) won't be for a few
days yet but lets leave our rifles in the clover
(that's a reference to his other song Lighthouse).
Info on Ron's new country/folk CD Get Back Change
is at http://www.hynesite.org and he may have
different interpretations of his songs than
I do. He is best known for his song Sonny's Dream
known under slight modifications as Sonny in Ireland.

Also note that Jesus started Jewish but went broad
and you wouldn't expect him to return to just Christians
(but I am not claiming to be him) and I started Christian
and am now individual/eclectic but with a message
for all humans; i.e. who am I with? well humans,
but in the system of species within the environment.

OK, I'm off to hear Jason Belmer for an hour or
so at The Breezeway, where Shannygannock will be
next Friday from 5 to 8, and hope he has Bruce Crummel
with him again.

David
Dan Parrell
David Dalton
2003-11-15 03:18:39 UTC
Post by Dan Parrell
what brand of curry do you smoke to make sparks and levitate?
On alt.religion.hindu they will probably ask me how much
Screech I consumed. (No, they will probably ignore me again.)

(I have had 2/3 of a 40 ozer of Screech twice before but
since early 1993 think it is wise to share the stuff.)
riverman
2003-11-15 15:18:51 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by Dan Parrell
what brand of curry do you smoke to make sparks and levitate?
On alt.religion.hindu they will probably ask me how much
Screech I consumed. (No, they will probably ignore me again.)
(I have had 2/3 of a 40 ozer of Screech twice before but
since early 1993 think it is wise to share the stuff.)
Ummm, so it sounds like you worship 'sparks'? I mean, most of those
references to sparks (spark of life, etc) are metaphorical allusions to
burning fires, embers, et al. Not to step on your religion, there, sparky,
but you DO sound a bit, umm, like you're running on 3 cylinders. To each his
own, I guess, but I think to most folks, whatever you are talking about gets
filed along with "can I have a moment of your time, sir?"/

--riverman
David Dalton
2003-11-16 17:42:44 UTC
Post by riverman
Post by David Dalton
Post by Dan Parrell
what brand of curry do you smoke to make sparks and levitate?
On alt.religion.hindu they will probably ask me how much
Screech I consumed. (No, they will probably ignore me again.)
(I have had 2/3 of a 40 ozer of Screech twice before but
since early 1993 think it is wise to share the stuff.)
Ummm, so it sounds like you worship 'sparks'?
No, I take certain ones not explainable by my physics
knowledge yet and with "hi/pay attention" sort of sensation
and at significant locations (thumb, etc.) as signs,
and something to wonder at, and try to explain later
with my physics and applied math and maybe
consciousness theory knowledge.

I'll comment on the figurative spark/imbas/awen/holy spirit
connection in the soc.culture.irish,rec.arts.poems thread I mentioned
[ "spark (or sparks) poems" ] in a wee bit and add some
Dorothy Livesay quotes there too. (So anyway the figurative
"spark that burns in the brain" may be imbas in Irish terms
so in ultimate form my waning crescent [horn of oil] highs
but certainly though my non-figurative flying sparks
may have physical sensation at significant body spots
and often tune/song and/or yoga pose association there
is also an element of them of recognition in the brain.
However I think I have been ignored on alt.religion.druid
but no completely on alt.religion.shamanism and soc.culture.irish
or here I guess.)

After my posts of the next half hour or so I will
probably just check alt.music.s-mclachlan and
nf.general , and not write much, for the next
couple of days and after that glance at other groups
to see if there are any points I need to address.

So how was Ron last night? Was there good Ron chi?

DD
David Dalton
2003-11-15 03:10:56 UTC
Post by Dan Parrell
what brand of curry do you smoke to make sparks and levitate?
None, at at the time it happened I had had probably had 3.5 pints
in 4 hours and don't have problems until I get to 8 pints or
more, during waning moon (I change [from drinking] water
to [drinking] wine [beer] just after full moon and don't
drink during waxing moon). But anyway the first and
most significant such flying mystic spark was when I was
stone cold sober, and last night I was quite relaxed
and reasonably sober and got zapped for the first time
in a while in that flying live spark form. But I
thought my S finger was Sinead and Sarah just had
my right elbow and down low and whole body warming
effects but maybe Sarah has my S (in touch-typing) finger
too now, I don't know. :-)

Also I think east Indian people (I am not one) might
find your remark about curry a little offensive
given my previous comments about Aurobindo (who I
have read little of yet but may eventually) and yoga.
Also I didn't say anything about levitating and
am pretty skeptical of a lot of things myself
but am just objectively reporting what occurred
and suggest you do more research into sparks
with past mystic individuals (so I won't have to do it). :-)

But you are probably just trying to get my goat but
I suppose that is better than being completely
ignored as usual. :-)

But anyway I didn't choose such mystic sparks and
certainly didn't choose to say I am like past
religious figures but have been sort of constrained
to it beginning from the passing of the old (fiddler
Emile Benoit dancing 5 m behind me while Figgy Duff
were on stage at Brother O'Hehir arena [rain venue then]
for folk festival early August 1991 such that I felt
something and turned around and saw him there) to the new
(the clear sky lightning late on Aug. 31, 1991
in Vancouver as described on my messy web page).

So I think I was picked to start with because of
my views, and have been constrained and inspired
over the years to modify those a little but
not much, and perhaps will be further constrained
and inspired until I somehow get my messages
right and then they will get some media attention
but not before. But if someone has a problem
with my web page I really want them to let me
know because it could be it may be writing I
haven't looked at in a while (maybe 1997) and will
be glad to correct and/or clarify. But why would
you expect a new messenger unless a new message
is needed, and why would you expect all the
same old messages (though much of what I say has
been said before)? Lets move towards heaven on
earth, our beautiful patchwork quilt with me as
thread sewn by the thorns. :-)

There was a nice program on VisionTv the other
night on 360 Vision on the stuff of Michael
Persinger and others in which it was said
that mystic experiences can be induced by
magnetic fields and EM waves but my experiences
are not very much like what is described (plus I
don't get revelation) but anyway you can view
natural fields/waves as having intelligent
source intermediate to a monotheistic deity
or simply as being tools of a monotheistic
deity (for those of you with a monotheistic
deity) so the magnetic field/EM wave argument
doesn't rule out faith.

So I certainly can't say that much
of Christianity is wrong, but just believe there
can be no all powerful perfectly good ultimate
creator since all is not perfect and have some main
pressing messages to push or at least state that I
stand by, and which you can view as being pushed
through me if I am allowed to graduate from the
low yearsbut not all the details of my individual/eclectic
spiritual path). Also I have been quite influenced
by the main messages of Jesus but not by contradictory
minor messages, institutional add-ons and misinterpretations;
and by scientific atheism, science fiction and fantasy,
music, mythology, and a bit by traditional paganism and
neopaganism.

So I have said before that I am an individual/eclectic
neopagan since I am polytheistic and believe I am part
of nature, but most neopagans don't think much of me so
for now I am just saying I am individual/eclectic (I have
my own evolving individual religion but am not in
a religious organization and am not starting one, but
I am human and have messages for all other humans
though many are doing fine perhaps including you
if you don't drive a enviropoor car solo or eat supermarket
meat, and are tolerant of other loving religious paths,
perhaps).

Oh I should have just thought up a snappy one-liner.

Also lapsed Catholics shouldn't be too uptight about
my stuff but if you rub against their traditions
they suddenly become non-lapsed out of respect for
their elders perhaps, but again the main commandment
is love, discard what contradicts that, and I can't
prove some of my stuff and can't prove that some
Catholic stuff is wrong but there are some points
that could be discussed rationally, using our
(divinely given if you believe that) reason or
else we are rejecting that gift of reason.

Bye until Saturday,
David
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.html (maybe 2 hits a day since 1997)
Dan Parrell
Cathy Cowette
2003-11-15 15:44:36 UTC
Are you sure that spark didn't come from the big joint you were smoking?
--
Cathy
http://www.cathycowette.com
David Dalton
2003-11-15 22:57:31 UTC
Post by Cathy Cowette
Are you sure that spark didn't come from the big joint you were smoking?
Ha, no. In May 1992 I looked down at a raven-shaped (I thought) crack
in a chair and thought that the crack would smoke me and when I looked
up in walked a dark haired native-looking but I think actually
Asian/French descent woman who I long owe a call/card to. But then
(a few days before said last BC hospitalization) was the last time
I have smoked marijuana (and my last NF hospitalization ended early Jul96).

So no, I'm just reporting what occurred, and again it may
mark a turning point for me but we'll see.

I'll research ball lightning and other stuff like that later
I guess, will have to review my EM Physics and skim my Tesla
patent book again as Jim Fidler suggested.

Ideally I will provide the opening for many seeds of good
within many religious paths so that I will be one of many
in a global wave of love and not too famous during my life if
ever (I could still go to the pub without being mobbed), i.e. there
could be many Jesuses even (if big-souled he came back as many :-) ).
Also if you ask me was I Jesus in a past life I would
say that I don't know but that I doubt it. But what do
you expect, the finished product, the best of box set,
well in me you have the work in progress and I could
be easily interviewed now but maybe less so later.

Sarah McLachlan is the best singe-er in the world even
if she spurns my rainbow heart (lets make the
world a heart hearth).

David
David Dalton
2003-11-15 22:49:38 UTC
Post by David Dalton
"This could be the final breath
This could be the final strife
Is there one spark of life still shimmering
Out here in the falling rain
Who will fan the flame
When the final days are numbering"
Ron Hynes: The Final Breath
OK, today I thought maybe I had seen the word spark
in translations of Amergin's stuff so glanced in
John Matthews' Taliesin... book but the Amergin
translations there didn't have the word spark
so maybe it was in Robert Graves' White Goddess
(which is partly scholarly and partly his intuitive/poetic
interpretation and attempt to link things but has
some good stuff, including his quotes of old stuff
and some of his stuff) or elsewhere, e.g. Morgan
Llewellyn's book Bard.

Then I figured I would look in my Contemporary
Irish Poetry, penguin edition, ISBN 0-14-058609-1 ,
edited by Peter Fallon and Derek Mahon, 1990
in particular for the Amergin-influenced poem
by Thomas Kinsella called Finistere. So anyway
it is a great poem, check it out, but one verse is

Who
is the word that spoken
the spear springs
and pours out terror
the spark springs
and burns in the brain?

Then I looked at the outer edges of the pages of the
closed book for other pages that I had folded corners of
and found among others, Seamus Heaney (pronounced
he knee not hay knee) 's poem Exposure and
one verse from that is

Who, blowing up these sparks
For their meagre heat, have missed
The once-in-a-lifetime portent,
The comet's pulsing rose.

(But the blue rose presented to me on Sept. 6, 1991
I link more to the earth, so blue planet, which some
Mexicans link to Mary so I hear, and I have weakly
argued well it was blue earthlight reflecting
off the 2 day before dark moon and somehow
focussing in a hologram in front of me at almost
the top of the thorns but that is more of a
poetic linkage than an actual scientific explanation
though I don't know if someone else had been
there if he or she would have been able to see
it too but I suspect that might be possible.
Also the moon may not have risen by then and
if it had was certainly not high up in the sky.
But I very very very rarely have had visions
and never one that someone else told me they
couldn't see, and don't have voices in the
head, and any lyrics are mine, dancing with the music
through the gap, as Sharon Shannon might say.)

Did Yeats or Joyce mention spark or sparks?

Do you know of any other poems (Irish or otherwise)
or poetic songs that mention spark or sparks?

And when will Andy and Manus do Brigit O'Malley
at Bridie Molloy's here in St. John's, eh?

(but e.g. the "sun sets near the barley" I link to
sun setting through W.I.S.E. lounge orange tinted
west window, so near the barley [beer] ha)

oh well, I sounded like Manus in the Irish,
which I don't know yet, once at Bel Aire Apts
in Vancouver supposedly but that is highly
unlikely though Sarah could make me sing I bet.

David
David Dalton
2003-11-15 23:32:58 UTC
I mentioned this thread on rec.arts.poems,soc.culture.irish
in a post entitled "spark (or sparks) poems" and asked
for spark related poems there and there have been
two Irish ones with English translations posted there
already, one version of I Am/Song of Amergin posted
by Féachadóir and one I don't think I had seen before
mentioning/praising Brigit posted by KateH and a few
of you might find those two poems (and maybe others
posted later to that thread) to be of interest.

That's all from me until Sunday and I will check in
only very briefly on Sunday from campus, but I will
now spend a half hour on my Salmon on the Thorns
web page but won't have any time for my
Newfoundland and Labrador Travel and Music web
page this week (e.g. I was going to add links
to Ryan's Fancy and A Crowd of Bold Sharemen
web pages and a few more edits but they can wait).

Dave Panting was cooking last evening at D.F. Cook
Hall folklore journal benefit, like he had been
through a yoga workshop or something (well Paddy
Keenan generally is of such form too), but I missed
his later set at The Fat Cat but hope it went well.
(I had been out Wed late, Thurs late, Friday 6--11
so took friday late off but may go hear Ron Hynes
tonight at The Ship since I haven't heard him
in maybe three months though he plays a lot here.)

David
bogus address
2003-11-16 00:38:12 UTC
I mentioned this thread on rec.arts.poems,soc.culture.irish in a post
entitled "spark (or sparks) poems" and asked for spark related poems
there and there have been two Irish ones with English translations
posted there already
Try "Dingle dingle dousy" (on my "Embro, Embro" CD-ROM if you can't
find it anywhere else). I believe it's most likely the ancestor of
"Ring-a-ring-a-rosy"; the metre is the same, the sound is similar,
and unlike the later song it makes sense. It's a Scottish lullaby;
the mother twirls a twig with a glowing end in front of the baby as
she sings, making hypnotic patterns of fire in the darkness. Since
any mother could have done this on any night in the last couple of
million years I doubt it's exclusively a Scottish practice and there
should be songs to accompany it from other cultures.

And anybody who pulls out that Black Death crap gets their faqing
head bitten off, okay? Check, it's not that difficult.

[ Followups to rec.music.folk - nothing Celtic or Canadian about it
as far as I know].

========> Email to "j-c" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
<http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html> food intolerance data & recipes,
Mac logic fonts, Scots traditional music files and CD-ROMs of Scottish music.
David Dalton
2003-11-16 17:24:19 UTC
Post by bogus address
[ Followups to rec.music.folk - nothing Celtic or Canadian about it
as far as I know].
Huh? Ron Hynes and Dave Panting and Noel Dinn and Pamela Morgan
and Graham Wells and some others I mentioned are/were certainly Canadian
and celtic and Sarah McLachlan who I quoted is Canadian and
adoptively has Irish roots and sang with The Chieftains live and
with Seamus Egan on The Brothers McMullen soundtrack (nice thumb ring).

Well, Ron Hynes is more country/folk now but is celtic influenced
and played rhythm guitar on Emile Benoit's fiddle recording
Emile's Dream and was in The Wonderful Grand Band and
has penned numbers such as Sonny's Dream (Sonny in Ireland)
and From Dublin With Love and Atlantic Blue and Godspeed,
and maybe hundreds more including Lighthouse and Final Breath
and If I Left You Alone With My Heart solo and hundreds
more cowritten and is from the area of the Colony of Avalon
on the Irish Loop of The Southern Avalon Peninsula so
"don't step on his native" [Newfoundlander] "side".

David
bogus address
2003-11-16 22:45:01 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by bogus address
[ Followups to rec.music.folk - nothing Celtic
or Canadian about it as far as I know].
Huh? Ron Hynes and Dave Panting and Noel Dinn and Pamela Morgan
and Graham Wells and some others I mentioned are/were certainly Canadian
and celtic and Sarah McLachlan who I quoted is Canadian and
adoptively has Irish roots and sang with The Chieftains live and
with Seamus Egan on The Brothers McMullen soundtrack (nice thumb ring).
I was talking about that spark-related lullaby/folk-custom, which is
documented from lowland Scotland and has nothing specifically Celtic
about it. Of the people you list, the only one I've heard is the
Chieftains and I wasn't talking about any of them, still less accusing
them of constructing themselves a racist "celtic" cultural identity.

I have set followups again; I am NOT going to continue a discussion
crossposted to a newsgroup devoted to a singer I know nothing about
beyond the fact that she's female and Canadian.

David Rintoul wrote:
: "A psychosis, in contrast to the other classes of disorders, involves a
: relatively high degree of psychological disorganization...This person
: may experience delusions and hallucinations and may be viewed by himself
: or by others as so incapacitated as to require hospitalization or the
: administration of powerful drugs to stabilize his more extreme behaviors."

It is fairly obvious that David Dalton is not always totally hinged, but
he's never less than interesting, and participates in newsgroups in a
perfectly considerate and responsible way. I don't have a problem with
his postings. To accuse him of "psychological disorganization" is to
make an inappropriate value judgment on a way of being that isn't one I'd
want for myself but but which enlarges the scope of human possibility.
Would you have wanted to diagnose William Blake's visions away too? Or
dismiss the tunes on my website composed by the fairies of Shetland as
pure pathology?

David Dalton
2003-11-17 02:44:19 UTC
Post by bogus address
Post by David Dalton
Post by bogus address
[ Followups to rec.music.folk - nothing Celtic
or Canadian about it as far as I know].
Huh? Ron Hynes and Dave Panting and Noel Dinn and Pamela Morgan
and Graham Wells and some others I mentioned are/were certainly Canadian
and celtic and Sarah McLachlan who I quoted is Canadian and
adoptively has Irish roots and sang with The Chieftains live and
with Seamus Egan on The Brothers McMullen soundtrack (nice thumb ring).
I was talking about that spark-related lullaby/folk-custom, which is
documented from lowland Scotland and has nothing specifically Celtic
about it. Of the people you list, the only one I've heard is the
Chieftains and I wasn't talking about any of them, still less accusing
them of constructing themselves a racist "celtic" cultural identity.
Ok, sorry, I misunderstood and thanks for the reference, I'll
see if it is mentioned in my (library) copy of The Silver
Bough Vol I by F. Marian McNeill when I toddle off home in
a while.
Post by bogus address
I have set followups again; I am NOT going to continue a discussion
crossposted to a newsgroup devoted to a singer I know nothing about
beyond the fact that she's female and Canadian.
Fine, I sort of just post there a lot because she has inspired
me and it is my main online hangout since I was on her FTE
mailing list in 1994 and 1995 so I will post stuff about her
and her music and related artists including good Newfoundland
women artists, and stuff inspired by her music, and sometimes
general stuff I hope she might find of interest but which
I generally label with an OT for off-topic but didn't
with this thread since it has the subject "I am the spark"
from her song In two the Fire but it has drifted and
I apologize to members of alt.music.s-mclachlan which
I have added again because of this note but if you
are following up edit the newsgroups line down to
the appropriate newsgroup(s) please.
Post by bogus address
: "A psychosis, in contrast to the other classes of disorders, involves a
: relatively high degree of psychological disorganization...This person
: may experience delusions and hallucinations and may be viewed by himself
: or by others as so incapacitated as to require hospitalization or the
: administration of powerful drugs to stabilize his more extreme
: behaviors."
Hey, I didn't see that post at all, it must be in a group
I haven't been checked but I will check all on my
campus newsserver when it comes back up or on
http://groups.google.com in a day or two for his post.
Because of that paragraph I have added nf.general but
again if following up edit the newsgroups line
as appropriate to the content.

Psychosis implies belief in the face of evidence against
it, and magical thinking is belief where there is no
evidence for or against it and it is harmless to
the individual and others, and I comment on that
on my web page. My psychiatrist considers some
of my theories (e.g. that when my right elbow
warms that Sarah McLachlan is thinking of me)
to be harmless magical thinking as far as I know
and seems to be happy with my progress and I
share a lot with him including my web page address
and summary of the past 12 years and three lunar
months on paper and my hopes for newage changes.

All such flying sparks have occurred during extremely
stable states nothing like my waxing gibbous moon
trials (May92, Jan93, Mar94, Jan96, May96, Jun96,
Jul97) and slightly milder more communicative early waxing
moon trials (Jan95, Apr95) or the one time I was
considered fully manic (Sept91) as opposed to
the four times I was hypomanic in 1993--1994.

I have been fairly stable since mid-July 1997,
extremely stable since early May 1999, slightly
less stable since early this year when I came
off olanzapine (but stayed on lithium) but not
bad at all, and this week and last week I am
pretty stable, steady, good mood, good energy,
good sleep, good relations with family, nobody
has punched me at Erin's yet, no problems,
however I do tend to be more open and at times
a little more bizarre online than I am offline
but that is true for many, but however I have
used my real name online since 1982 and hope
I can gradually redeem my reputation especially
with certain women, after these wilderness years.

So David Rintoul, are you an atheist skeptic like Randi,
who does not believe in mystic experiences, or
a religious sort who believes there was a last
mystic and/or that any outside organizational
structures (e.g. not ordained, and/or with messages
outside the norm) should be labelled insane, as
perhaps Galileo was, and or that you believe it
happened once but can't accept that it could
happen today (but lets see what happens).

Such rules I guess kept the tithe takers in power
in the bad old days. But note that you have to
be somewhat on the edge to bring back jewels
and you may respect my Best of collection in
say forty years more than my current work in progress.
As noted in Kay Jamison's book Touched With Fire
some of the most creative minds of the last
few centuries have been bipolar but e.g. Schumann
due to lack of medication which I have, died
in an asylum unfortunately.
Post by bogus address
It is fairly obvious that David Dalton is not always totally hinged, but
he's never less than interesting, and participates in newsgroups in a
perfectly considerate and responsible way. I don't have a problem with
his postings. To accuse him of "psychological disorganization" is to
make an inappropriate value judgment on a way of being that isn't one I'd
want for myself but but which enlarges the scope of human possibility.
Would you have wanted to diagnose William Blake's visions away too? Or
dismiss the tunes on my website composed by the fairies of Shetland as
pure pathology?
Hey, I'll have to check out your website, and Barabara Rieti might
be interested too but I don't know where she is now (she wrote
a book on Newfoundland fairy traditions that I saw at UBC in
I guess 1995 but not since). However I was pretty bad at
times from Jan. 29, 1996 to mid-July 1997 especially during
Jan96, May96, Jun96 and Jul97 waxing gibbous moon (i.e. it
was general low level delusion/paranoia with flare-ups
during said waxing gibbous moons but no violence, just
magical fury signifying nothing); and then mildy with
my eyebrow matchmaking theory from about mid-July, 1997
to early May, 1999 (negative evidence by e-mail from
two women I won't name convinced me to give up the theory)
and since then not too bad at all, just a bit long-winded
and rambly at times and incorrect hopeful predictions
of waning crescent high/end to low years/salmon of wisdom
and some inappropriate comments about women at times
when I am supposed to be feminist. It can only
improve from here. If you (DR) have evidence against
my theories then post it or e-mail me; and as regarding
the flying sparks I am just reporting objectively
how they occurred and again I consider them angels
and I was quite stable during them, but I consider
many to be environmentally insane and many to be behaving
insanely towards other species and some to be behaving
insanely within the species. Most of the mentally
ill (oops, those suffering from a mental illness,
since of course it can be episodic and not
continuous) people that I know online or in
person are wonderfully loving people, you need
to worry about psychopaths more than psychotics
in general (and use stun guns in cases like those
in which police killed two men with mental illness
in Newfoundland in the last few years). And let
the saints come marching in. :-)

Again, edit the newsgroups line if following up
if your content is appropriate to only one
of the three groups, and/or feel free to
e-mail me though I might not deal with it
until Saturday.

D.
S(tanley) Park doing OK?
David Dalton
2003-11-17 03:28:27 UTC
Also these and many of the newsgroups I post to are unmoderated
and there is free speech on the Usenet, luckily. When I post
to moderated groups such as soc.religion.christian (where
I got some useful polite advice on the Greek version of
The Nicene [or is it Nicean?] creed once) which
I haven't in a while but may again after I do more
research, I generally try to be more tactful and tailor
the post a bit more to the group but otherwise am
sometimes in a rush. But if you do not want to
read my posts you can do one of two things:

1. just skip over all posts by me when you see
the subject line

2. place my e-mail address in the header in what is called
a killfile (i.e. a list to be filtered out so you
don't see my posts). Now the old Free Agent I
have off campus does not have that capability
but the more recent version may and Agent does
and Outlook Express does and probably Gravity does
and Knode has something called Scoring Rules and
rn and trn and nn and gnus and xvnews and AOL and other
newsreaders do as well but on http://groups.google.com
(where many posts up to 20 years or more ago are
archived include stuff I have retracted) I think you just
have to skip over people on your own. But e.g. when (not right
now) on noisy playful alt.pagan I don't use a killfile but
just skim through the subject lines and skip trolls and sometimes
skip certain people slightly more and jump ship on threads when
they diverge and so on.

But if even 10% of readers of each group are interested (even
if just entertained) that is fine by me. Even if just
Sarah McLachlan was interested that would be wonderful but I
suppose in such case she could give me her e-mail address with
the proviso that if she told me to stop e-mailing her
I would and I wouldn't mention the fact that I had it
or any of the correspondence without her permission, e.g.
and she could use any of my ideas/lines that she wanted
without citing me even and I would stop lusting after
her if she told me to.

Hey, at least I'm not talking hockey pool drafts, right. :-)
Uh oh my Monday night Railway Club (our station in the
heart of town) buddies will be mad at that.

Also I have posted similar stuff for many years
including some on nf.general so why all the fuss
right now rather than then. e.g. check
http://groups.google.com for
author:David author:Dalton nfld.com OR geop.ubc.ca group:nf.general
and you may see a Salmon post as early as 1997 and a Vive la Rose
post later and so on and probably stuff even weirder than
my recent posts at times (I'm heading home now so am not
going to check myself). Why don't I just say
author:***@nfld.com well I used ***@public.nfld.com
for the first while including probably in my
"catching ships that dump waste oil" posts. Also
I may have posted to nf.general from ***@MACHINE.geop.ubc.ca
but I don't think so and suspect the earliest was
that waste oil thread in probably November 1996.
But perhaps there was a divine media block on me
which is lifting? Of what I offer, take what you will,
i.e. mine it for the good points I guess.

Good night (goo de newf?)
David, Internet addict
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (contributions of writing to travel/music site
are welcome, it began as a compilation of rec.travel posts and ideally
would have more [cited] viewpoints, including off-Avalon, other than
mine)
David Dalton
2003-11-17 20:53:47 UTC
Post by David Dalton
"catching ships that dump waste oil" posts.
Well, I just checked google groups and only one followup
is there from early February 1997 so I guess the thread
started in late January 1997 and went to more than four
groups and hence was not archived by google but e-mail
me if you would like a copy and any further suggestions
from me on the matter.

(probably it went to environment, petroleum, oceanography,
satellite and newfoundland groups but my copy is off campus
and I am fairly sharp now, sharper than then, so may be
able to improve it a bit maybe on Saturday).

Bye (to r.m.f. and n.g.),

David

riverman
2003-11-17 11:56:38 UTC
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
My psychiatrist considers some
of my theories (e.g. that when my right elbow
warms that Sarah McLachlan is thinking of me)
to be harmless magical thinking as far as I know
and seems to be happy with my progress and I
share a lot with him including my web page address
and summary of the past 12 years and three lunar
months on paper and my hopes for newage changes.
That says a lot. Harmless, maybe, but still quite irrational and, methinks,
psychotic. Good luck, and I hope nothing ill comes of this for you. The most
likely ill-effect could be the lowest denominator: a sound thrashing behind
a bar from someone who feels threatened by things they don't understand
(like about 99% of the developed world population). A much worse ill-effect
could be the inability to function in the physical world, leading to a
rather miserable, unnourished and lonely existance. Keep talking to your
psychiatrist, and consider the possibility that all this is illusion.

--riverman
David Dalton
2003-11-17 19:59:00 UTC
Post by riverman
Post by David Dalton
Post by David Dalton
[...]
Well, certainly quite a bit of organized religion can be
considered in the same vein, me son.

But I am pulling off all groups other than alt.music.s-mclachlan
and that too if I find I am wasting too much time on it, in
order to concentrate on academic matters for the next three
weeks (I suppose as a hedge I should give the Ph.D. a bit
of effort since it would qualify me more to research in many areas
which may have geophysics and/or applied math as a home base
and which interest me).

DRD